N161 (Appeal Form)

Posted on Sunday, 30th Aug, 2015 at 09:50:19 PM
Please note form N161 is to be used for fast track and multi-track
cases and statutory appeals from tribunals and other outside
bodies only. You have 21 days to lodge an appeal or ask permission to appeal.

Details of the claim or case you are appealing against.
Give the claim or case number you wish to appeal against. You
are required to provide the full name of all parties and to indicate
whether they were the claimant, applicant or petitioner, defendant
or respondent by ticking the appropriate box. You can find this
and other information in the order or decision you are appealing

Give your (appellants) full name, and the address to which
you would like all documents relating to the appeal to be sent.
Include contact information e.g telephone and any other contact

You will also need to include the above details for the respondent
to enable the court to send correspondence and other details to
the respondent. If there is more than one respondent, list their
names, addresses and contact details on a separate sheet of
paper and tick the details of additional parties box to indicate
that you have done so. Write the claim number on it and attach
it securely to your notice.

Details of the appeal
Most of the information you will need to complete this section will be found on the order or decision you are appealing against.

Give the name of the court or tribunal whose order you are
appealing against.

Give the name of the Judge, whose decision you wish to appeal
and indicate, by ticking the relevant box, the status of the judge.

Legal representation
Confirm whether you are legally represented and if so, give your
solicitors name and contact details.

Indicate whether or not your case is being funded.

Confirm whether the respondent is legally represented and, if so,
provide the name and contact details of their solicitor.

Permission to appeal
You will usually need permission to appeal the decision of a
judge of the High Court or a county court.

Other information required for the appeal
You are required to state the order you wish to appeal. If you are
appealing only part of an order or tribunal decision, you must
write out that part (or parts) of the order in the box provided.

You should also indicate whether your appeal includes any
Human Rights Act issues and whether you are asking the
appeal court to issue a stay on enforcing the order which you
are appealing. If you are asking for a stay or an extension of time for appealing must be made in the appeal notice itself. You should state the reason for the delay and the steps taken up to the time of filing the notice.

An appeal must be based on relevant grounds (reasons for appealing). An appeal court will only allow an appeal against a decision that was either:
wrong; or
unjust because of a serious procedural or other irregularity
in the lower court proceedings.

Read the feedback comments

No feedback - Use below to be the first


Leave your feedback
Taking security seriously